Powered By Blogger

Thursday 24 January 2019

Walking into a brilliant new architectural design project [domestic glass and steel extension].


REAR ELEVATION

A walk to my friends daughters nursery opens the door to a fantastic design challenge.


On a recent weekend break we arranged to meet friends who regularly share summer holidays with us. This was very exiting for their four-year-old girl, who was desperate for me [sillyman’] to pick her up from nursery. I thought this was to be the highlight of the weekend, and although it was spectacular to be shown around by my little friend, and find that I needed no introduction to any teacher or child.... as they all knew ‘Sillyman’ was calling that day! [For clarification my adopted term of affection suits me to the ground... I am a man and I am more than a little silly.... especially when there are children to be entertained and amused.]





What I had not expected was Dad of four year old asking me advice on how they best select an Architect for altering and extending their Victorian Semi ‘d’ house which they had moved into about a year previously.... This question raised more questions than answers as I needed to know everything!

The bottom line is that the house they have is just fabulous, a house for life, space for the youngsters [and the adults] to grow up in and spread their wings. Great living and sleeping accommodation over three floors. Good garden space to front side and rear. Prime access to shopping amenities schools and transport... and not a bad Rugby Club!



The problem was the ‘back of house’. The kitchen and utility space on the north wall is small with lots of shape changing and lack of clarity. The ambition is to clear the single storey ‘back of house’ and redesign the kitchen and utility areas form a 'HEART' of house. A central focus for all the family and for all ages.

I had ‘retired’ [hurt] from architecture. For many years I had no ambition to do any architectural stuff, other than for my own pleasure. The description of what was wanted set me on fire. I just could not wait to start sketching ideas and developing concept designs that might tick the families needs.

The following morning, at the hotel breakfast table.... the enthusiasm turned into random sketches which led to brainstorming options for the design.


We snuck back to our friends house on our way back home and, not to be outdone by the total lack of survey gear.... I paced out the site with my size nine willies and plotted a plan on a soggy piece of paper, as the snow storm blew in.

The process of the design was just so fresh and enjoyable. 

Some weeks after this, we had a meeting, at our local restaurant, and I unveiled my concept designs. The whole buzz of making a presentation and the nervous anticipation of the ‘client’ reaction at the point of reveal. Very exiting.


I’m pleased to say they were delighted with the concepts and the form of the building.
After a period of gestation and feedback the design has evolved and the planning stages are ready for development and approval. [Oh, and my wellie boots oversized the amount of space available!]




It has been an extraordinary privilege to help in the process of procurement and it will be interesting to know if my wee friend will reflect on the house she grew up in, as a place that ‘Sillyman’ helped designed, but she will, I am sure, remember the laughter and joy of our silly games, magic tricks and paddles in the foam of Tiree. 

The contemporary glass and steel extension has a way to go before the 'opening ceremony'..... but I have been invigorated and refreshed by high-jacking my pals question about 'appointing an architect' and abducting their brief as my own. 

Thank you the Moos.


May your paper, and your silliness, never run out.





No comments:

Post a Comment